Natural gas service is rarely affected by storms. But if your home gets damaged, follow these safety steps:
- Do not turn off natural gas at the meter. Meters maintain proper line pressure and prevent water from entering pipes if flooding occurs.
- To cut off natural gas service, turn gas off at each appliance
If you smell natural gas:
- Leave immediately on foot. Cars, light switches and phones (including mobile phones) could cause a spark.
- When at a safe location, call 911 and your natural gas provider.
- If you are a renter, call your landlord as well.